About Us - Learner Success
School Learning Plan for 2019-20
Our Goal: Create a caring environment where all students are engaged, connected, and successful.
Staff are sensitive to student transition difficulties and work together as a learning community to nurture all learners so they are ready to learn to their potential.
How do we want our students to feel?
- Engaged, excited about school and learning
- Sense of belonging, connected, safe, secure, appreciated
- Motivated to go to school and try new things
- Connected by getting to know more people outside of their own classroom within the school
- Highlighting seasonal flow of the school and our activities (we’re all in it together)
- Sense of anticipation – students see things that they can look forward to learning and doing in the future at Lord Kelvin
We will continue to have:
- Celebration of Learning Assemblies (COLA)
- Slideshows put together by teachers for the whole school
- “Cookies and Juice” for student recognition with Mr. Millard bi-weekly
- Students doing morning “CLKS Radio News Broadcast”
- Students doing “CLKS TV News Broadcast” videos to whole school
- Student performances such as Hip Hop Dance Show
- Family Fun Friday (synchronized through the school)
How do we measure our goal’s success?
- COLA Assembly (slides, videos, performances)
- Using student reflections on their learning – “At the beginning of the school year I thought …, at the end of the school year I thought …”
- Cookie & Juice Certificates (The ‘Why’)
- School-wide visual (i.e. Cookies & Juice ‘cookie tree’)
- Real-life environment feeling
- Sensory room data collection
- Report cards
- Classroom-based family sharing
- Newspaper articles
- School-wide performances & activities (i.e. Hip Hop Dance, May Day, Christmas Concert, Multicultural Week)